I admit, I have been MIA. I’ve abandoned this blog for a long long time for several reasons: (1) I felt uninspired, (2) I wanted instantaneous fame, (3) i forgot about it.
I think when I first started this blog, I had the aspiration to start a food blog and saw myself as a foodie but I lacked the incentive. I am aware that fame isn’t instantaneous and I wanted to achieve it without the help of major social medias such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and etc. I am still striving for fame without broadcasting the blog to every platform because I fear judgement and opinion from others. I’m not the greatest writer in the entire world and I do struggle coherence in my writing but this is something every blogger/writer encounters. Nevertheless, I have decided to revive the blog mainly because, I love food and I want to capture my finds and share it with the cyberworld, this time with a better attitude and being more organized about it.
I know there are plenty food blogs out there but mine is different. I want to critique restaurants and food finds through my lens and perspective. I’ve worked at restaurants for 4 years and I have a different idea of customer service and food quality than a lot of other people out there. I’m not saying that my opinion is the only one that matters. I’m just saying it will be different than many others.
In this blog, not only will I critique the food quality, I will also critique customer service, restaurant cleanliness as well as the staff presents themselves in front of their customers.
Here are a few guidelines which I will base on:
Food quality – food must come out fresh and piping hot. Have you ever noticed that sometimes the food hits your table and it’s either luke warm or there’s a layer built up over the sauce? This is how you know the food is DEAD. Food must be sent to the table within 30s of being “sold” by the kitchen. Hypothetically, it should only take another 30s to reach the table making it a total of one minute for food to hit the plate and to your table. Restaurants that ensure a good bill time = they’re serious about their food quality.
Customer Service – First impression is everything. There are several “first impressions” when you go to a restaurant: First impression of the restaurant (both outside the building and the entrance); first greeting from the hostess; first greeting from the server. If the front of the restaurant lacks liveliness and tidiness, one may feel that the Restaurant Manager does not manage the restaurant seriously. If the hostess does not give you a big warm welcome to acknowledge your existence, the restaurant is pretty much a joke. Hostesses are also expected to inform you who your server will be tonight as well as informing you the recommendations of the day/night. If the server fails to greet the table in a friendly manner within 30s-1min of you (customers) being sat, they better redeem themselves later in the night if they want the average 15% tip from you.
Staff Presentation – Clean, crisp and professional. If the Front of House (FOH) staff looks frumpy and messy and you can see crumbs and food stains in their apron or uniform, chances are, they are not taking their job seriously and they’re just working for the tip. I generally give my servers a bigger tip if they make small talks and are able to read my body language – that is, they can tell when I need something from them or when I want time to me and my guest. A lot of newer servers tend to be afraid to interact with their tables and based on my experience, 90% customers that dine out enjoy interacting with their servers. The other 10% blatantly show they are not interested and want privacy. It’s all about reading the guests’ body language.
Restaurant Cleanliness – Clean Back of House = clean food. How many times have you been sat on a dirty table or in a booth with crumbs in the seat? If your answer is 70% of the time, chances are the restaurant cleanliness is not up to par. If the Restaurant Manager fails to keep the FOH spotless, you best expect that their BOH kitchen and staff will be filthy. A filthy kitchen = filthy BOH staff = filthy food! It’s as simple as that.
I hope these guidelines aren’t too harsh. After all, if you’re out to dine, you expect good service, good food and to have a good time.
So here’s a little bit of an update about me:
– I quit my jobs about five months ago.
– I’m currently living in the UK for Law School.
– I don’t eat out as much as I used to due to lack of selections in the city I reside in.
– I can’t wait until I go back to Vancouver, BC, Canada so I can blog and share my food adventures with my readers.
I hope you will stay with me and my food journey.